I'm a Seattle parent on the brink of a career change.
Strong Personality is my place to share tips & tools that make my busy life easier!

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Taking Responsibility


I'm looking out from 38th floor of the Columbia Center, right back at my own neighborhood in West Seattle. It's a beautiful summer day and my first as an intern at Kapitall, where we're experimenting with a very new investing platform. It's a powerful tool with a friendly interface that I hope will attract more people like me, women somewhere in the middle of their investment lifecycle, to participate in the stock market. Why? Because our financial futures matter and we can write that future as well as anyone.

As a woman in my 30s, I'm starting to feel as though I've pushed my financial future to the back burner. I left the paid workforce to take care of my children and in the process took less and less time to track savings and investments. However, watching my children grow is an everyday reminder that financial responsibility is a daily responsibility. I have blurry goals around paying for college and (almost) simultaneously paying for my own retirement. It's time to participate, and doing so doesn't have to be a drag.

Kapitall is in its beta phase, an exciting time to learn from a company! The product is an online tool, centered around a "playground" that allows you to point, click, and drag to learn about companies, build real or pretend portfolios, and even share portfolios with your friends.

My responsibility for this summer is to use social media to introduce Kapitall to my network. I will consider myself successful if I can inspire tentative investor to take more active responsibility for their financial education.
  • If you've gotten this far, click on http://www.kapitall.com/ to find out what I'm talking about.

  • Now that you're here, the playground is cool, isn't it? Go ahead and open a practice portfolio. Click on the My Contacts button and add me to your contacts so we can chat about the training tools, and what your "copper" status means. I look forward to chatting with you!
This summer will not only bring lessons in effective social media outreach and marketing, it'll help me make my paycheck now pay more later. How about that?

No comments:

Post a Comment